Any experience with DataWind Wireless Pocket web Surfer?

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 02:57:41 UTC 2005

Regarding high costs of sending/receiving data...

I spoke today with people at datawind.ca (they are willing to talk with
anybody; contact info is available at their web site
http://www.datawind.ca) .

Somebody mentioned, I think, 5 cents per 1 kB on Rogers?

Fido is used by these from DataWind themself. They pay 50 C$ per month
for unlimited use. They say that costs in USA are even much lower, of
the order of 20 US$ per month. They told me also that the costs of data
connections should go much lower once these web browsing toys become
more popular. And they will. I had an opportunity to use their
PocketSurfer. It is a really nice tool (the server is running on Windows
NT; I should have a chance one day to talk with technical people, to
learn more about how they are doing all this). PocketSurfer has indeed
high quality images, a nothing that one would like to compare with on
other "mobile" toys, except of course the screen on a real computer. It
loads web pages quite fast. They told me that within days a new version
will be available, much even faster. The speed is an issue but if you
look to this:

http://www.datawind.com/comparisons.html#BANDWIDTH%20CONSUMPTION

it becomes clear that their speed and data transfer is superior. I
wonder what sort of compression they use.

zb.

--
Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
Web Development, Linux, Web Mail Fax Voice Servers, Networking