Any experience with DataWind Wireless Pocket web Surfer?

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 18 14:11:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:54:04AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> John Macdonald wrote:

> >>I was hoping to connect my notebook computer, to my cell phone, for
> >>wireless access, but at the rates Rogers charges, it's far too
> >>expensive.  As for the browser, many sites are charged on a per use basis.
> >

> >Telus has the same sort of $10/MB charge as Rogers, but they
> >offer an unlimited plan for $100/month.  I haven't gotten
> >past the investigation yet to see how it works in practice.
> >

> I'm only looking for occasional use, so I'm not going to pay $100 month.
>  But at the occasional use rates, any reasonable activity is very
> expensive and as someone else mentioned, far above the costs for an
> equivalent phone call.

You can enable and disable the plan, and it will be prorated
for the portion of the month that you actually use.  So, if
you plan for a few days of intensive use but mostly have no
use at all, this works.  However, as you say, for irregular
small amounts of use, the charges are way out of line with
the benefits (unless you have a critical business need).