Hardware security in PCs to accompany new Windows

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 31 03:36:47 UTC 2005

I was once advised by a client that a company in the  US was trying to
patent something that I had previously invented for this client. (It was a
moving grid aerial camera control system, using (ahem) a Commodore PET as
a control system. It was a while ago...)

Fortunately, I could show prior disclosure, so I wrote to the USPO to
advise them that there was prior art. That was the end of that particular
patent.

However, the client also told me that this situation had occurred to
another Canadian company. The canadian company invented some modification
for an aircraft door (something to do with aerial photography). An
american firm then patented the idea, and the Canadian company (a)
couldn't use their own invention and (b) was nailed for infringement!

So you have to react to these things if you hear about them.

Peter