FC3 - no desktop

Anthony Alex magalex-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 15:29:36 UTC 2005

I have freshly installed FC3,  I am running into 2 problems :

1)  After logging-in in the GUI style I just get a blank desktop with a terminal window open with not menu's at all.  What am I doing wrong here for this to happen ?

2)  Telnet is not working.  I have installed telnet-server on this box but cannot telnet from another machine.  Locally I can telnet to localhost and also to the IP number of the box. Possibly it could be the firewall but I don't have enough knowledge to figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tia