FC3 - no desktop

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 16:44:49 UTC 2005

On May 19, 2005 11:29 am, Anthony Alex wrote:
> I have freshly installed FC3,  I am running into 2 problems :
>
> 1)  After logging-in in the GUI style I just get a blank desktop with a
> terminal window open with not menu's at all.  What am I doing wrong here
> for this to happen ?

a) take a look at /var/log/messages to see if there are any reported errors.

b) Did all the required gnome packages install correctly?

c) take a look at your gdm.conf, in gentoo it is located
at /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

d) does logging in as root ( only for a minute, test & then log out ) have the
same effect?

d) try going to a console as root. type

# telinit 3
# startx gnome ( or gnome-session I can't remember what fedora calls it )

and see if that works at all, or what different error messages you get.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca