getmail question... What is a "Maildir" supposed to be???

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 14:41:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:48:33PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I've now got mutt moved over to maildir format and things seem to be
> working OK.  There's one little detail I'm missing.  I run getmail over
> an ssh tunnel to pull email.  getmail passes the emails off to procmail,
> which directs the incoming emails to appropriate subdirs for the mailing
> lists I'm on.  I understood that procmail was supposed to be able to
> handle maildir boxes.  Instead, I have to specify the "new" subdir
> explicitly ("gentoo/new", "tlug/new", etc).  Is that a bug or is it a
> feature?  Here's my getmail config.  I run it as user waltdnes, to avoid
> having to give getmail root privileges, and procmail delivers to a
> maildir in my home directory.

Procmail uses maildir when the target ends in /, otherwise it uses mbox.

So if you have maildirs here

/home/username/Mail/tlug/[cur,tmp,new] you would ask procmail to deliver
mail to Mail/tlug/

The trailing / is required.

It will put it in tmp/new as appropriate during delivery.

If you try Mail/tlug or Mail/tlug/new it will try to open those as mbox
files and it won't work.

Lennart Sorensen