getmail question... What is a "Maildir" supposed to be???

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 03:48:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 11:07:40AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> A maildir is a directory containing 3 directories: tmp, new and cur.

<ELVIS>
Thank you, thank you, thank you verrry verrry much.
</ELVIS>

  I've now got mutt moved over to maildir format and things seem to be
working OK.  There's one little detail I'm missing.  I run getmail over
an ssh tunnel to pull email.  getmail passes the emails off to procmail,
which directs the incoming emails to appropriate subdirs for the mailing
lists I'm on.  I understood that procmail was supposed to be able to
handle maildir boxes.  Instead, I have to specify the "new" subdir
explicitly ("gentoo/new", "tlug/new", etc).  Is that a bug or is it a
feature?  Here's my getmail config.  I run it as user waltdnes, to avoid
having to give getmail root privileges, and procmail delivers to a
maildir in my home directory.

[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3Retriever
server = 127.0.0.1
username = ********
port = 10110
password = ********

[destination]
type = MDA_external
user = waltdnes
path = /usr/bin/procmail
arguments = ( "-m", "~/.mailfilter/.procmailrc")

[options]
read_all = true
delete = true
message_log = ~/.getmail/log

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.