[flame bait] installfest distros and support

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 02:16:07 UTC 2005

Has anybody suggested talking to the new user before enforcing a
particular distro choice?  If not, I'll suggest that now.  For one thing
it will start a dialogue between the new user and the experienced
assistant.  It might be important to find out what expectations the new
user has before you start partitioning their box.

At Ohio Linuxfest last year, the keynote speaker Paul Ferris posed a
hypothetical situation.  I'll paraphrase, just pretend that I'm
riveting: "Let's say you are the IT person in charge of keeping the
computers running at a small company.  That is probably true to some
extent.  And let's say that the company runs a lot of boxes with
proprietary software.  Then the boss comes to you one day and says, 'I
hear this Red Hat thing can run our email?'  Should your reply be, 'Red
Hat Sukzorz and MyDistro Rul3zorz!!!1!' or should you say something
like, 'I'll set up a demonstration for you.'?"

If you want to help folks adopt Linux and give them a better chance to
stay with it why not find out:
1) How they heard of the installfest and what (in general terms) they
hope to accomplish.  This also tells us what forms of advertising worked
for this installfest so we know how to improve for the next one.
2) What their general level of computer guru-ish-ness is, and how much
UNIX / Linux /BSD / GNU background they have, if any.  We'll probably
see folks that are pretty savvy on other OS.  Remember anyone coming to
Linux is still an early adopter (just not as early as you) and probably
a thought leader in their organization.  You can treat them like an
idiot and give the Linux community a bad name.
3) What current infrastructure / culture they want to use for help?
Will they use this box for Linux homework while their instructors and
labs expect everything to be on RH7.3 ?  If so, does it really make
sense to install something else that you think is "way better!"

For Experts
If you tell someone they have to use MyDistro because it is the best
aren't you obligated to take their late night telephone calls for
advice?

For new users
If you plan to call someone for late night help and advice, shouldn't
you install the distro they recommend so they'll be familiar with the
details?

For installers
Do what you are comfortable doing.  If you haven't installed MyDistro
before and only use YourDistro, pass them off to another installer.  Not
familiar with dual boot?  Call someone that is to help with that.  You
shouldn't experiment on the computer of a new user; they came to the
installfest to trust you.