sad commentary on THEIR ability

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 13:19:43 UTC 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Rob Sutherland wrote:

> We have a right to expect that the people who spend public money do so
> in an
> informed manner - they are after all, getting paid to do that and if
> they don't
> do it then they should get called on it.

Though I agree we have that right, we would be rather silly to imagine
that it actually happens.  I have made some attempts to raise issues
with bureaucrats (letter-writing regarding Toronto hardware upgrades
for Windows) and have seen nothing but paternalistic, complacent
have any wonderful ideas about how to cut through the fog.

It's well known that back when IBM were "the bad guys" there was an IT
maxim that nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM.  That philosophy of
being protected by hiding in the herd is still alive and well in spite
of name changes.

Some people, even if they figure out they're on the road to hell, can't
imagine a better solution than slowing the journey.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714