sad commentary on THEIR ability

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 13:06:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:26:37 -0400
bob <fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> http://homepage.mac.com/yaztromo/iblog/C721686556/E320292175/

After reading the article and seeing quotes like this,

"Least charitable was Ms. Liang of the US's Kaiser Foundation, who said
 "We looked at Open Source for all of two minutes, and then dismissed it"."

and

"The feeling one got during their (generally) dismissive answers to the question
was that someone in their organizations did a quick Google search for "Open Source +healthcare",
came up with only a few projects in the incubation stage,, and simply decided that Open
Source wasn't up to the task."

And probably billed several thousand dollars for coming to that conclusion.

I'd say that the problem isn't us, as in the Open Source community not giving
answers and support, but a lack of due diligence on the part of these people.
We have a right to expect that the people who spend public money do so in an
informed manner - they are after all, getting paid to do that and if they don't
do it then they should get called on it.

I just don't see how anyone doing their job in this area could ignore things like Vista

http://worldvista.org/welcome.html

or the kind of commitment to Open Source that players like IBM have made.

Rob

Rob Sutherland - rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Computer Support at http://www.cheapersafer.com
Land: (416) 536-0176 | Cell: (416)407-1391