installfest distros

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 19:37:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 12:53:45PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> I don't need now, but I may need later.  When I do need it, I want it on
> my fingertips ready to go.  Downloading or inserting CD /everytime/ I
> need some program is "premature optimization" in my opinion.  Someone
> has been thinking too much.

But apt-get install packagename is so handy.  Besides you can't install
postfix, qmail and exim at the same time.  They provide the same
filenames in many cases (like mail and sendmail commands).  until you
want a mail server, how will you know which to install?

Besides why bother needing to download security fixes for all the stuff
you don't use.  If it's not installed you won't have to, and when you
install it, it will get the fixed version in the first place.

> I'm not going to quibble about 256MB minimal install vs. 6GB full
> install.  This is not USB key where space is limited.  This is 200GB
> modern harddisk.
>
> If you can't afford decent harddisk, then it's another issue...

I don't want a million things running to worry about securing and
wasting ram.  And I don't want to have to download updates for them all
whenever they come out.  That's a waste of time, moreso than the time it
takes to download the programs I need.

As for CD/DVD, who uses those other than the first install?

Lennart Sorensen