installfest distros

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 16:53:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 12:23:33PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:29:12PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > Agree with Allen, and disagree with Steve.  Slackware is the easiest
> > one to install, because usually you install everything from the CD
> > to harddisk (3GB).  Slackware has no concept of "workstation",
> > "desktop", "server", or "expert" themes, which, quite honestly, I
> > don't fully understand why Debian, Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSe
> > continue to perpetrate.
>
> Debian installs a minimal system, after which you can ask it to
> install whatever you need.  Much saner than install everything first
> and remove later.
>
> Of course if you don't know what you need, then why are you using a
> computer? :)

I don't need now, but I may need later.  When I do need it, I want it on
my fingertips ready to go.  Downloading or inserting CD /everytime/ I
need some program is "premature optimization" in my opinion.  Someone
has been thinking too much.

I'm not going to quibble about 256MB minimal install vs. 6GB full
install.  This is not USB key where space is limited.  This is 200GB
modern harddisk.

If you can't afford decent harddisk, then it's another issue...

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.