Packaging systems (was: What about post-installfest support?)

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 17:19:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 05:08:22PM +0000, Craig Routledge wrote:

>Of course, I would not recommend a non-techie new user compile from source
>unless using a system like emerge.  But then, performance for most common
>applications (mail, web browsing, word processing) is constrained by disk
>and other I/O, not CPU.  So compiling for CPU optimization isn't a
>noticable gain in many cases.

I would disagree with the sentiment that compiling from source is too
difficult for new users.  When I first installed Linux, my first success
was to compile ALSA to get my sound card working.  I remember the thrill
of accomplishment when I heard Linus' voice for the first time
(explaining how to pronounce "Linux"), and that was a big reason I
eventually wiped Windoze off my systems and went to completely Open
Source OSes.  Don't steal all the little victories from people - they
will not likely thank you.
--

yours,

William