Packaging systems (was: What about post-installfest support?)

Craig Routledge webstuff-MKqfGmd6cJs0gtvRndBQZNBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 19:47:02 UTC 2005

On 05/09/2005 01:19:55 PM, William O'Higgins wrote:
> I would disagree with the sentiment that compiling from source is too
> difficult for new users.  When I first installed Linux, my first success
> was to compile ALSA to get my sound card working.  I remember the thrill
> of accomplishment when I heard Linus' voice for the first time
> (explaining how to pronounce "Linux"), and that was a big reason I
> eventually wiped Windoze off my systems and went to completely Open
> Source OSes.  Don't steal all the little victories from people - they
> will not likely thank you.

I did not mean to imply that it was too hard.

My sentiment was for *non-techies* who have no interest in little victories
but just want to use applications on their computer.  There is a whole
world of people out there that want to do as little as possible with regard
to setup and updates.  For those inclined to learn more -- by all means, go
for it.  Encouraging that is good, but I wouldn't recommend giving them a
system that absoletely requires it unless you know that's what they want.