Packaging systems (was: What about post-installfest support?)

Craig Routledge webstuff-MKqfGmd6cJs0gtvRndBQZNBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 17:08:22 UTC 2005

On 05/09/2005 11:24:38 AM, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> With both SuSE and Fedora, you'd probably install it initially. Debian
> uses apt, which is similar in functionality to emerge.

Just because I see this getting asked all the time....

rpm is to deb as yum is to apt, so:

   yum install package-name

works on Fedora and resolves all dependencies.  There are also graphical
front-ends, although I haven't used them myself.

RPM is not an apt equivalent, and it isn't supposed to act at that level.
So comparing the two just causes confusion and isn't relevant.

The big gotcha on Fedora, is that some packages such as mplayer are not
included for legal reasons.  (Similar to debian non-free)  Packages in
these grey areas can be found on repositories such as freshrpms, DAG, and
the like.

> > How many people with Suse or Fedora or Debian have managed to get
> > mplayer running?

Raises hand.  Although on slower machines, I have compiled from source to
try and optimize mplayer.  My current machine is no speed demon, but is
fast enough that I just use the binary packages.

Of course, I would not recommend a non-techie new user compile from source
unless using a system like emerge.  But then, performance for most common
applications (mail, web browsing, word processing) is constrained by disk
and other I/O, not CPU.  So compiling for CPU optimization isn't a
noticable gain in many cases.