installfest distros

Steve A kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 21:44:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:29:12PM -0400 or thereabouts, William Park wrote:

> Agree with Allen, and disagree with Steve.  Slackware is the easiest one
> to install, because usually you install everything from the CD to
> harddisk (3GB).  Slackware has no concept of "workstation", "desktop",
> "server", or "expert" themes, which, quite honestly, I don't fully
> understand why Debian, Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSe continue to
> perpetrate.

It's a good distro, just not a good first choice for beginners, neither is
vanilla Debian IMHO.

Does Slackware have a package manager that can compare to either Debians or
SuSE's ? I think not, and that is an important consideration -- don't forget
we're talking for the most part about NOVICE users. Last time I used Slack, one
basically had to compile by hand and look after one's own dependencies...

Have things changed in this regard with Slackware ?

--
Steve A.
Sunday May 08 2005 05:35:02 PM EDT