installfest distros

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 00:40:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:44:20PM -0400, Steve A wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:29:12PM -0400 or thereabouts, William Park wrote:
>
> > Agree with Allen, and disagree with Steve.  Slackware is the easiest
> > one to install, because usually you install everything from the CD
> > to harddisk (3GB).  Slackware has no concept of "workstation",
> > "desktop", "server", or "expert" themes, which, quite honestly, I
> > don't fully understand why Debian, Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSe
> > continue to perpetrate.
>
> It's a good distro, just not a good first choice for beginners,
> neither is vanilla Debian IMHO.
>
> Does Slackware have a package manager that can compare to either
> Debians or SuSE's ? I think not, and that is an important
> consideration -- don't forget we're talking for the most part about
> NOVICE users. Last time I used Slack, one basically had to compile by
> hand and look after one's own dependencies...
>
> Have things changed in this regard with Slackware ?

Slackware has package manager; it's called 'tar'.  You can upgrade
"live" in Slackware, just like any other distro.

For newbies, we want to move them from
    - insert CD
    - log into KDE
as quickly as possible.  The whole idea of InstallFest is to give them
(individuals or company reps) a look and feel of Linux.  After they move
about in KDE, click few things in Open Office, Firefox, and Thunderbird,
they'll realize it's not that bad or different (we hope).

If they want post-install support, then they can pay.  Support issue is
not simple thing.  Training issue is a bit cleaner, because after
"class" is over, that's that.

I don't think we should be worried about this, at this point.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.