installfest distros

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 21:29:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:08:41PM -0400, Steve A wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 04:47:36PM -0400 or thereabouts, Allen Taylor
> wrote:
> > So, at the risk of starting a distro war (skirmish ?), might I
> > humbly suggest Slackware as an alternate distro. My thoughts here
> > (besides the fact that there are five machines around my desk
> > running Slackware 9.?  thru 10.1) is that there may be some in
> > attendance that are fairly adept at these computer things, want to
> > learn about this Line-Ux they've been hearing about, and would like
> > a more "hands on/learning" oriented distribution.
>
> Slack is hardly a novice friendly distro. I think distros like
> Libranet/Ubuntu and SuSE, Mandrake are probably better choices, FWIW.
>
> I personally would think Libranet the primo choice since it's a
> Canadian distro, as is easy to use for those used to Windoze.

Agree with Allen, and disagree with Steve.  Slackware is the easiest one
to install, because usually you install everything from the CD to
harddisk (3GB).  Slackware has no concept of "workstation", "desktop",
"server", or "expert" themes, which, quite honestly, I don't fully
understand why Debian, Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSe continue to
perpetrate.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.