Installfest - Monitors

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 6 15:13:10 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne wrote:

>This raises an issue...  Configuring X is always somewhat
>monitor-dependent, with the result that that portion of the process
>may not be entirely successful unless you bring YOUR monitor.

A serious issue, at that ! Lugging monitors is a drag. having monitors
on hand is quite doable, but installing a config for the wrong monitor
would not be a good thing. Might the instalee be able to have a workable
config if he/she came with CPU and monitor model #s ? or at very least,
resolution/size info. ?

>It's probably easy enough to have an extra couple keyboards and mice
>tucked away in the "spare hardware" box, but the "How do I configure
>X?" issue presents a reason that you might want to consider bringing
>your monitor.

To be avoided, of at all possible. Perhaps the ideal install kit (think;
installmobile) would have a 15", a 17" and a 21", maybe even an LCD, so
that the install might approximate the users setup. This issue might
have an influence on the recommended distro(s) preferring those with
flexible display hardware recognition/ post-install-configuration abilities.
djp