Installfest - Monitors

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 6 15:17:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:51:35AM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
>On 5/6/05, Steve <bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> If I plan on showing up for the June Installfest, what do I need to bring (other than
>>computer)? Monitor, keyboard, mouse? I'd rather not cart around my
>>19" CRT if I didn't have to!
>
>Good question!
>
>If the number of machines being worked with remains fairly small, it
>could be reasonable to anticipate that there would be a few monitors
>brought along so that you'd not forcibly need to bring one.  That
>obviously adds to the "InstallFest Kit" manifest 'a few monitors.'

A non-trivial amount of the time to install Linux is filesystem
formatting and file copying - perhaps a couple of KVMs would allow a
single monitor to get a bunch of people set up without too much
additional freight.

>It's probably easy enough to have an extra couple keyboards and mice
>tucked away in the "spare hardware" box, but the "How do I configure
>X?" issue presents a reason that you might want to consider bringing
>your monitor.
>
>I haven't done much X config work in the last couple of years, so the
>issues may have changed somewhat, tho that would surprise me...

This is less of a concern in the modern era though - I have found that
Knoppix will generate an X config that will serve most in most cases.
Mepis also seems to "get it right", especially with their "Install OS"
desktop icon.  Where this method breaks down in my experience is in
multi-monitor configurations.  Still, last time I installed Debian it
was impossible for me to use software to configure X - I had to have an
example config to hand to get things working, so it is still a problem.
--

yours,

William