Installfests

Colin Smillie csmillie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 5 05:10:42 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, interlug-list <interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>The media is tougher.  News papers need a week or two of notice for a
>listing in the local events column.  I haven't managed to get a story
>printed yet.  Some radio stations will put you on their web site, while
>others might do an on-air mention that needs a few months of advance
>notice.  The local chamber of commerce may take an interest, but
>generally requires months of lead time.

I would consider putting together a press/media kit.  In every
instance I've been involved with the media this is generally expected.
 In this case it should probably contain the following:

- background on organization/event, installfest goals
- photos of event ( if available ) or invitation when photos would be
most appropriate
- announcement details on the event, time, location, expected attendence etc..
- contacts for event, further interviews etc...

I'd be happy to help put it together, please contact me off list.

> One of the things that can be improved over my last 'fest was getting
> the volunteers to ask for help when they need it.  Some are better at
> different problems than others.  They need a way to get assistance with
> an unfamiliar issue without standing up and saying "Help".  I think that
> this should probably go through the Admin.  If you can establish in
> advance who has extra-Guru-powers in specific areas, make sure the
> volunteers know who and what, and that there is no shame in a hand-off.
> Linux is big, nobody can know everything.

Many years ago at a networks bake-off the organizer assigned these
standing whiteboards.  They were used to communicate availability for
testing, scheduling and availability for  testing to everyone else in
the big conference room.

Something similar might work where you have people display what they
are working on and people with experience might be able to assist...

Colin