Installfests

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 4 19:54:16 UTC 2005

Regarding Linux installation festivals, I have the following notes from
my recent experience.

The announcement http://www.cambridgelug.org/?q=node/6
The waiver http://www.cambridgelug.org/files/InstallfesWaiver.sxw
The questionnaire http://www.cambridgelug.org/files/InstallDetails.sxw

In promoting I found that the best source of volunteers is the LUG.
Plus arm-twisting.  Lots of arm-twisting and reminders.  Best source of
new users is word of mouth; the volunteers will spread the word and drag
along a few new users.  In this case the college will be a good source
of new users.

The media is tougher.  News papers need a week or two of notice for a
listing in the local events column.  I haven't managed to get a story
printed yet.  Some radio stations will put you on their web site, while
others might do an on-air mention that needs a few months of advance
notice.  The local chamber of commerce may take an interest, but
generally requires months of lead time.

Facility:
Check the network before the 'fest.  'Nuff said.  Have long, long
extension cords so you can spread the load to other circuits if power
starts to get flaky.  Have the computers spread out on different
circuits to start with if possible.

Keep the power and network cords out of the way.  Don't let anybody walk
over or trip over cables.  Someone might drop power on a machine and
cause a failure (bad) or trip and hurt themselves (worse).  Don't leave
the power-bar power switches where they can get kicked to the off
position by accident.

Have a cart and easy roll-in roll-out access to limit lifting and
carrying of heavy computer stuff.

Staff:
Non-technical staff are as important as technical staff.  Use a Greeter
and an Admin, at a minimum.  The greeter will welcome everyone as they
arrive, assure them that they are in the right place and welcome and
direct them to the Admin.  The Admin will check the registration
details, and witness the waiver signing after answering any waiver
questions.  The admin will also provide the name tags (really
important!) and the questionnaire.

One of the things that can be improved over my last 'fest was getting
the volunteers to ask for help when they need it.  Some are better at
different problems than others.  They need a way to get assistance with
an unfamiliar issue without standing up and saying "Help".  I think that
this should probably go through the Admin.  If you can establish in
advance who has extra-Guru-powers in specific areas, make sure the
volunteers know who and what, and that there is no shame in a hand-off.
Linux is big, nobody can know everything.

Check the HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Installfest-HOWTO/