Any mplayer optimization ideas?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue May 3 02:47:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:29:39AM -0400, Colin Smillie wrote

> What video card are you using?

  ATI Rage 128.  4 or 8 megs of RAM.  It is so-o-o-o-o 20th century.

> Try mplayer -vo help, it should list the available optimizations with
> your version of mplayer.  You can try Xv or XvMC if its available, or
> re-compile to enable them.

  Thanks.  After some fiddling around, I've found that the the "-vo xv"
option *DEFINITELY* helps.  That one is a keeper unless I find hardware
acceleration somewhere.  I'm also including "-quiet", so mplayer doesn't
waste CPU cycles updating a console with a running count of frames.

  I'm having a problem with the syntax.  I'm trying to invoke with

mplayer -vo vidix:mach64_vid (on this machine) and
mplayer -vo vidix:radeon_vid (on another machine with a Radeon 7000)

but mplayer doesn't like the invocation.  That's my interpretation of
the manpage, but it's really hard to decipher the manpage.  What's the
correct syntax?  I've also tried "xvidix" instead of "vidix", and the
result is the same.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.