Any mplayer optimization ideas?

Colin Smillie csmillie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 1 14:29:39 UTC 2005

On 4/30/05, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   Is anyone aware of any magical tricks for speeding up mplayer, or do I
> finally have to give in and replace my 1999 Dell 450 mhz PIII with a
> faster machine?  I was checking out some internet TV stations on
> http://wwitv.com and mplayer simply can not keep up with a 45 or 100
> kbit feed.  I've done all the optimizations I can think of...

What video card are you using?  There are a number of optimizatons
available for Nvidia cards. You can get low-end 5200 cards that
support hardware decoding.  Try mplayer -vo help, it should list the
available optimizations with your version of mplayer.  You can try Xv
or XvMC if its available, or re-compile to enable them.

On an older system like that you might get better performance running
mplayer directly with the frame buffer ( without X11 ).