Any mplayer optimization ideas?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun May 1 00:21:06 UTC 2005

  Is anyone aware of any magical tricks for speeding up mplayer, or do I
finally have to give in and replace my 1999 Dell 450 mhz PIII with a
faster machine?  I was checking out some internet TV stations on
http://wwitv.com and mplayer simply can not keep up with a 45 or 100
kbit feed.  I've done all the optimizations I can think of...
  - running X at 16bpp with BlackBox as the WM
  - running Gentoo linux with tweaked compile flags, namely...
    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse"
  - sse and mmx are also in my USE flags

  Here's the start of the mplayer diagnostics when I connect to an
Argentinian site...

bash-2.05b$ mplayer -playlist http://wwitv.com/_tv/6990b.asx
MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.5-20050130 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Family: 6, Stepping: 3)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
MMX2 supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX SSE

  I don't see mmx2 anywhere in /proc/cpuinfo.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.