nVidia vs. ATI

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 30 17:30:57 UTC 2005

I played games on GNU/Linux for years, using both nVidia and ATI
cards. I found that ATI's driver wasn't too bad. It was just kind of
annoying that they only provided an RPM. The install file actually
does walk you through using alien to convert it to a deb and get it
installed. Still, I had trouble completely removing the driver when I
switched back to nVidia.

My advice if you want to support ATI: Get a cheapo nVidia card for the
computer (it's enough to run Canadian-made Neverwinter Nights!) and
then pick up a Nintendo Gamecube, which uses an ATI chipset. Right now
I have a bit of a gaming powerhouse at home, but if I could do it
again I'd have built an EPIA box with a generic, non-3D graphics card.
Think about it: $700 for a gamer-oriented computer, or $87 for a new
Gamecube!

--
Get Firefox - Take back the Web
http://www.getfirefox.com/