nVidia vs. ATI

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 30 17:46:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 01:30:57PM -0400, Mike Newman wrote:
> I played games on GNU/Linux for years, using both nVidia and ATI
> cards. I found that ATI's driver wasn't too bad. It was just kind of
> annoying that they only provided an RPM. The install file actually
> does walk you through using alien to convert it to a deb and get it
> installed. Still, I had trouble completely removing the driver when I
> switched back to nVidia.

There are unofficial sites that maintain proper deb packages for the ati
driver doing a much better job than alien would.  They build the same
way the nvidia packages for debian do.  Doesn't fix which chips it
supports, just makes the package install better.

> My advice if you want to support ATI: Get a cheapo nVidia card for the
> computer (it's enough to run Canadian-made Neverwinter Nights!) and
> then pick up a Nintendo Gamecube, which uses an ATI chipset. Right now
> I have a bit of a gaming powerhouse at home, but if I could do it
> again I'd have built an EPIA box with a generic, non-3D graphics card.
> Think about it: $700 for a gamer-oriented computer, or $87 for a new
> Gamecube!

I wonder how much ATI is payed for each gamecube... :)

Lennart Sorensen