nVidia vs. ATI

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 30 16:57:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:54:23PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> I would like to thank everyone for confirming what I
> strongly suspected to be true, that AT THE MOMENT
> nVidia cards are the way to go (just because the ATI
> video driver software sucks (a much more diplomatic
> version of this will be part of my aticle)).

I have seen some people say that when the ati drivers work on your chip,
they do have decent performance, but you do have that big if to deal
with that unfortunately is not that easy to fit into.  Diplomatic is
certainly good.  Maybe ATI will decide that they should try harder and
do what nvidia does (release drivers at the same time for both, perhaps
even built from one codebase).  Linux deserves better than second class
citizen treatment which is really what ATI is doing.  Still better than
treated as a nobody (with no support) but not as good as we expect.

Lennart Sorensen