mini-ITX graphics woes

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 1 03:15:47 UTC 2005

B B wrote:

> I was waiting to jump in on this one. That $150 would
> be every two years and it is not to "keep your OS
> current" which is free ...

No, it's not. We own an eMac running 10.1.15. There have been no updates
to this for months, and we can't run the most recent version of iTunes.
Getting hardware to run on it -- which should be a simple case of a
driver -- often requires checking that 10.1.x is still supported.

So it's not free to keep it current, as most Linux users are familiar
with keeping an OS current.

And if you check the release dates (like here:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_history#Releases>), it is about
annually: "Version 10.1 shipped around September 25, 2001, followed by
the August 24, 2002 release of Mac OS X 10.2 ("Jaguar") and the October
24, 2003 release of Mac OS X 10.3 ("Panther"). Apple released Mac OS X
10.4 ("Tiger") on April 29, 2005".

> ... the included firewire connector which your mobo lacks.

The SP13000 has onboard 1394. I know -- slightly -- of what I speak.

> All together the mini is a killer machine and closer
> to a real unix server than a pc anyday the fact that
> it is so small and uses only 12 watts is icing on the cake.

Jings, you've really gone for the lithium lick, haven't you? I've seen
the figure of 25 watts quoted for an idling Mac Mini; 12 would barely
power a USB port.

 Stewart