mini-ITX graphics woes

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 1 12:58:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:15:47PM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Jings, you've really gone for the lithium lick, haven't you? I've seen
> the figure of 25 watts quoted for an idling Mac Mini; 12 would barely
> power a USB port.

It better power a USB port.  The max current draw on one USB port is 1A
5V so 5W max, and most devices for USB are supposed to be limited to
100mA each, so your mouse and keyboard combined should not even use 1W
from USB.

I think 25W for a complete mac mini makes more sense given the ram/cpu/hd
it has in it.  If you replace the HD with a flash based drive, remove
the dvd, then maybe you can get idle down to 12W, depending on just how
idle you make the system (kill anything you don't need).

Lennart Sorensen