mini-ITX graphics woes

B B kioskfan-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 1 02:45:07 UTC 2005

--- "Stewart C. Russell" <scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> >
> > I'm debating looking at a Mac Mini for this.  That
> would definitely do
> > this kind of job, and sit there being tiny and
> quiet
>
> It would be about the same purchase price ($944 for
> the mac, appx $1040
> for a top-of-the-line VIA mini-ITX system*). Don't
> forget the $150/year
> or so to keep your OS current on the Mac ...
>
>  Stewart
>
> *: which would be:
> Board		VIA SP13000
> Case		Casetronic C138 90W
> 512M Memory	Kingston 512M
> 80GB drive	Toshiba 80GB 5400rpm (notebook-sized)
> DVD+-RW		Panasonic UJ-845-B,
> prices from <http://koonline-inc.com/> -- it could
> probably be done
> cheaper, and the slow notebook drive would be an
> expensive pain,
> especially when the SP13000 has SATA.
> --
I was waiting to jump in on this one. That $150 would
be every two years and it is not to "keep your OS
current" which is free but to get the latest new
version and tons of add on software, but since we are
Linux here Christopher would want to run Yellow Dog or
some other PPC distro. The mini also has a notebook
drive but you can always plug additional drives into
the included firewire connector which your mobo lacks.

Most of the multimedia apps are already running on
PPC, I use mplayer and have had no problems with it. I
am looking forward to running my completed project on
a mini but I am developing it on a four year old G4.
All together the mini is a killer machine and closer
to a real unix server than a pc anyday the fact that
it is so small and uses only 12 watts is icing on the cake.