The Screamin' Firefox Blues

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 25 15:14:36 UTC 2005

> You say you have an NVIDIA board. Have you tried the proprietary
> nforce drivers from nvidia.com? They'll taint your kernel but IIRC
> they enable hardware mixing (while the standard snd-intel8x0 driver
> does not).

No I haven't, since the machine with the nforce I don't even have
speakers connected to.  I never use sound on it at all.

> Seconded. I got a Sound Blaster Live! Value for $15 (but you can
> probably find a better deal). Free, native drivers from the vendor.
> It's too bad that software mixing isn't very mature in ALSA. I wanted
> to be able to use Teamspeak while playing Diablo 2 (which runs great
> in stock WINE if you're looking for a cheap multiplayer game) and ALSA
> software mixing wouldn't allow me to record and play sound at the same
> time!

I find the ALSA drivers for the sb live to be much better than the oss
compatible drivers from creative.  They were I am sure a great reference
for implementing the ALSA drivers though.

Lennart Sorensen