Need an ISP in TO

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 20:58:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:25:16PM -0400, James Golick wrote:
> My '4mbit' connection from Rogers is at VERY BEST about 1...and it
> completely dies whenever I try to download anything by means of
> torrent.  The worst part is, that if you call for support, they reply
> bluntly with a shpeil about lack of support for torrent downloads,
> because of their relation to illegal materials.

Well my 5Mbit rogers connection certainly gives me 5Mbit most of the
time (at least when doing apt-get update and such).

I don't remember if I ever tried to do any bittorrent stuff after moving
to rogers (didn't have much choice at the new place).

> I guess Debian 3.1 is now considered illegal.
>
> I had sympatico back when it first came out, and it was equally lousy.
>  Apparently I'm really really far from the c/o...stupid dsl.
>
> So what's left?  Nothing, right?
>
> In montreal, when I'm at school, I had a 6.5 megabit connection that
> regularly performed WELL above 6.5 megabits.  I could sustain 5
> torrent downloads @ 700+k down.
>
> Ugh...this is frustrating to think about.
>
> Is there any solution?  I would spend up to 80$/mth.

There certainly are ISPs that will offer up to 3Mbit ADSL for a lot less
than $80/month and allows you to use bittorrent (although they may also
have lovely quotas to make sure you don't do very much of it)  Rogers of
course has a 60G/month limit on transfers, and claim they will
disconnect you if you exceed it.  Most other ISPs just charge you for
excess bandwidth at a dollar or two per GB.

I rather liked it when istop annouced they no longer counted uploads in
your quota so you could leave bittorrent shares going after the download
completed at no cost to you.  Who knows what the rules will be with the
new owners.

Lennart Sorensen