Need an ISP in TO

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 22 01:18:41 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well my 5Mbit rogers connection certainly gives me 5Mbit most of the
> time (at least when doing apt-get update and such).

When I ran a speed test today, from myspeed.rogers.com, I got 4.94 Mb
down and 832 Kb up, which I consider good enough for a service sold as 5
Mb down and 800 Kb up.

> There certainly are ISPs that will offer up to 3Mbit ADSL for a lot less
> than $80/month and allows you to use bittorrent (although they may also
> have lovely quotas to make sure you don't do very much of it)  Rogers of
> course has a 60G/month limit on transfers, and claim they will
> disconnect you if you exceed it.  Most other ISPs just charge you for
> excess bandwidth at a dollar or two per GB.

FWIW, with the purchase of Sprint, Rogers now has cable, ADSL and dial
up access.  It will be interesting to see what changes may occur.  Dial
up access, for cable modem users, would be nice for those who have
notebook computers.