kernel: Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

Amos H. Weatherill right_maple_nut-/E1597aS9LT10XsdtD+oqA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 20:27:53 UTC 2005

Also, you should check your motherboard manual to find out which
PCI slots share IRQ's because PCI IDE cards and PCI sound cards
don't like using shared IRQ's, even if there's no other device
using the same IRQ as the IDE or Sound Card.

Also, many motherbosard connected devices share IRQ's with the slot
based devices, so you may have a shared IRQ situation and not
know it.

This problem primarily appears on Windows based systems but it is
hardware based problem, so Linux might be vunerable, as well.

My $0.05

Amos "The Compudoc" Weatherill

I agree with you, I think it is a PCI based device that may have mucked up
your IRQs. In any event try removing the promise card but if that is not an
option go into your BIOS and there is a setting called "reset configuration
data" This will reallocate and re distribute IRQs to PnP devices.
/EndQuote