kernel: Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

Ansar Mohammed ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 02:33:54 UTC 2005

Howard,
The message is *most* possibly due to usb attached storage. But I doubt it
is the source of your sound card issues, since it is highly unlikely that a
USB based device can knock out a PCI/ISA based one.

Run dmesg and you will see a list of devices printed out. See if your sound
card is present.

I agree with you, I think it is a PCI based device that may have mucked up
your IRQs. In any event try removing the promise card but if that is not an
option go into your BIOS and there is a setting called "reset configuration
data" This will reallocate and re distribute IRQs to PnP devices.