major wiki-spam alert !

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 20 12:46:58 UTC 2005

On 7/18/05, psema4 <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 7/18/05, Sy <sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > I had experimented with some blacklisting functions at the
> > apache-level, but that appears to be nonfunctional.  I have not had
> > the interest to look into it further, as it's voodoo which is darker
> > than I can handle right now.
>
> Time to join the darkside.  ;)  Learning Apache takes a while (after 3
> yrs, I'm still finding stuff out all the time) but it's time well
> spent.

Actually I'd like to drop Apache and go with LightTPD:
http://lighttpd.net when I get around do it (I'm primarily afraid for
my coWiki / PHP5 setup)

> Actually, I prefer to look at linux/open source as the light side, and
> closed-source as the dark, but I guess it's all about point-of-view.
> :)

You confuse the light/dark side of the *force* with voodoo.  ;)

windows 3.1 - dark side, not much voodoo, unless you want it.[1]
windows 2003 - dark side, some dark voodoo.
pclinuxos - light side, not much voodoo, unless you want it.
... <insert strange experiences here>
right up to open source bootstrapping code manually wibbled into the
front panel.

[1] http://jrandomhacker.info/mw/index.php/Windows_%223.12%22

> I'm fairly certain there's enough talent around to find a solution.
> I've been away on vacation for the last lil bit, but in some
> not-so-distant posts, some folks asked how they could help GTALUG.
>
> (hint-hint-nudge-nudge?  Knowledge is one of the biggest assets this UG has.  ;)

The problem with that, is that I'd be one of the people at the core
for implementation.. which I don't really want to be if it gets too
complex.  I'm quite interested in the topic, and I did a lot of solo
research to figure stuff out.. but apache being what it is, it appears
that my efforts were somewhat futile.

Again I argue that there isn't much of a problem to be solved,
although i'll admit that this does make me itchy.