major wiki-spam alert !

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 19 07:07:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Sy wrote:

> One choice was to allow anonymous editing, which permits the vast
> majority of spamming through.  This can be closed off if people are
> generally ok with the idea of forcing people to add a user (no email
> verification is necessary) in order to edit.

I'm greatly in favour of requiring accounts to edit.  It cuts down on spam
as you note and also allows people to see their own contributions.

> Which brings me to the obvious point.  With a wiki, if something
> bothers you, you can be bold and change it yourself.  If ever anyone
> sees spam, please feel privileged to be allowed to make the decision
> to clean it up without hesitation.

Mediawiki allows you to revert cleanly to an older version of a page -
allowing for rapid restoration of the page to a pre-spam state.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org