TLUG's value to community ???

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 12 06:35:02 UTC 2005

What a thread.

I think that there are several sides talking past each other.  Or
worse -- saying inflammatory things without actually meaning anything
too unreasonable.

Some of us like the old casual lack of organization.  I, for example,
think that I've been contributing to TLUG for years.  But the real
infrastructure work has been done by a small core.  And don't minimize
that work and contribution.  It doesn't just happen, it takes effort.

It appears as if most of the core has bought into the idea of
incorporation.  I haven't.  But as long as they are the ones doing the
work, and they don't interfere with my quiet enjoyment of TLUG, then
I think that they are quite within their right.  They haven't even
"stolen" the name TLUG :-)

I'd say "live and let live".  Our different visions appear to be able
to co-exist.  (BillT: you made what appeared to be a threat.  I think
you meant it as something else, and said something roughly to that
effect later.  That's the closest to a real fight this has come.)

| From: G. Matthew Rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>

| Personally, I find it a little irksome that Toronto doesn't have the biggest,
| best and most organized LUG in Canada.  Many others have started after TLUG
| and are much further ahead than us.

Hmmm.  Let me challenge that.

What would make it biggest?  Perhaps including folks who would not
improve our experience (I seem to remember a group which got taken
over by suits).  I do think that we could grow usefully, and perhaps
have specialized subgroups too.  How do you think that could/should be
managed?

What would make it better?  There might be a lot of visions, not all
shared.  I'd be interested to hear what you are thinking of.