TLUG's value to community ???

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 10 18:14:42 UTC 2005

> I have yet to see any need to membership dues justified -
> there have been a few handwaving arguments that might be
> fleshed out into true justifications with some work, but I'm
> still somewhat skeptical.

 The justification is very easy to understand. If you want to become a voting member of TLUG you have to pay your dues. If you don't wish to or care to vote on the future direction of TLUG you don't have to pay your dues. What the money is used for is a mute point. Today it is sitting in a bank account collecting interest. What use it is put to tomorrow is up to the paying members.

> The fact that you seem to be searching for ways to spend the
> money and accomplish services tells me that there isn't a
> clear need.
Again this is a mute point. When such needs arise the money will be available. I doubt you have a clear need for the RRSP you own. They are there for some indeterminate future use labeled retirement.

> For this kind of group, a formal organization and dues is not
> an especially important facet is its success.  The important
> thing is for people to be interested.  Out of those interested
> people, a small subset that is enthused will make things happen.

 And it is those same interested and enthused people that went ahead and formalized the group as a corporation. Also I should point out this was done with the blessing of the list at the time.

> But TPM is not a formal non-profit organization.

I applaud the members of TPM but its still a mute point. You are correct in saying that TPM is not a formal non-profu organization, but GTALUG, and thus TLUG presently is. No amount of arguing over membership dues, what to do with the money, what the vision statement is etc... is going to change the fact that the government of Canada has issued a charter to GTALUG Inc. for the purposes of running this group.

> So, why does TLUG (which you are renaming to GTALUG) need all
> this baggage and what does it actually gain us?

 You are too late in asking this question. The baggage is there.

Bill