TLUG's value to community ???

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 11 16:41:48 UTC 2005

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org writes:
> >incorporated.  In fact, one of the founders of LPI had to keep the initial
> >sponsorship money in a personal bank account until the incorporation was
> >complete.
> >
> > I'm representing myself as a member of TLUG.
>
> Actually Matt you have quite liberally changing hats as you have gone
> along. For example the above statement about LPI's sponsorship clearly has
> you wearing that hat.

I will have to disagree with you there.  Just because I am privy to some LPI
knowledge doesn't mean that I am representing them here.  Can you show me one
statement where I claim to speak for LPI in this thread?

> And while I agree with your assesment of LPI mandate and creation you forgot
> to mention that GTALUG mandate was the evolution and formalization of the
> informal TLUG mechanism. GTALUG's claim to represent TLUG because that was
> what it was mandated to do. This is also why Drew has never complained that
> some group has taken over his role.

LOL.  Drew isn't even subscribed to his own mailing list.  What I really
forgot to mention was that this mandate came from _some_ of the TLUG
volunteers.  Not all of them.  When I attended early incorporation
discussions, I recall that I constantly asked why we were incorporating.

I wasn't against the idea, I just wanted us to have a better reason than
'because'.  Somehow, along that process, I ceased to get invited to further
meetings.

    "ahh, I get the picture."
        -- William Park
;)

Is it really that hard to have the exec of GTALUG come to a TLUG and/or
NewTLUG meeting and answer some questions and provide some information?

And, maybe, even engage the group in a dicussion of what we would like to do
to promote and grow the Linux community in Toronto?

Regards,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20