TLUG's value to community ???

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 11 16:08:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:00:08PM -0400, G. Matthew Rice wrote:
> William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > I'm told, we can't solicit money unless we're Inc.
>
> You were told this by whom?  They are wrong.
>

> > Just like LPI/CLUE can't go looking for sponsors unless they're Inc.
>
> CLUE isn't looking for sponsors and LPI had sponsors before it incorporated.
> In fact, one of the founders of LPI had to keep the initial sponsorship money
> in a personal bank account until the incorporation was complete.
>
> LPI, at least, had a clear mandate for its creation and wasn't an evolution,
> usurpment, whatever of another organization.
>

> > Why they have problem with us doing the same thing as they are
> > doing... ahh, I get the picture.
>
> Who is this 'they' that you speak of?  I don't see anyone from CLUE or LPI
> weighing in on this.  Unless you mean me.  And I haven't said anything about
> CLUE or LPI except that CLUE has a programme that it hopes to launch and that
> its incorporation has been made available for TLUG's use in the past.
>
> I'm representing myself as a member of TLUG.
>
> Could you share this picture of which you speak with the rest of us?

Actually Matt you have quite liberally changing hats as you have gone along. For example the above statement about LPI's sponsorship clearly has you wearing that hat.

And while I agree with your assesment of LPI mandate and creation you forgot to mention that GTALUG mandate was the evolution and formalization of the informal TLUG mechanism. GTALUG's claim to represent TLUG because that was what it was mandated to do. This is also why Drew has never complained that some group has taken over his role.

Bill