Samba Problems

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 7 19:58:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:08:52PM -0400, Adam Raymond wrote:
> I've searched for many solutions to my problem. Including reading many
> posts in this specific forum. Ive gotten pretty far, but not as far as
> I wanted.
>
> All I want is to turn my Linux box into a file server. And so far I
> can see the box on windows network, but when i click on it, it says i
> do not have enough permissions. However, when I go through IE
> "\\server-ip" I can then enter the user/pass set from smbpasswd -a
> adam. I have no idea how to fix this. :S

Which version of windows?

Are you logged into windows as a user with a password and does that
username/password match what you set with smbpasswd?  If so it should
jsut work, if they don't match it will ask.  If the username doesn't
match and you a using an older version of windows, it will just fail
without asking for the new username, while most of the time the NT based
systems tend to ask (but even they sometimes fail to).

Of course, usernames with spaces in them (which windows allows) causes
no end of trouble.

Lennart Sorensen