Samba Problems

Tim Goodaire tgoodaire-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 7 18:48:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:38:29PM -0400, jonathan zou wrote:
> why not check log.smbd?
>
> if still no clue,try to install ethereal for windows and captures the
> username/passwd win network sending out.
>
> On 7/7/05, Adam Raymond <streetsmart2-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I've searched for many solutions to my problem. Including reading many
> > posts in this specific forum. Ive gotten pretty far, but not as far as
> > I wanted.
> >
> > All I want is to turn my Linux box into a file server. And so far I
> > can see the box on windows network, but when i click on it, it says i
> > do not have enough permissions. However, when I go through IE
> > "\\server-ip" I can then enter the user/pass set from smbpasswd -a
> > adam. I have no idea how to fix this. :S
> >
> > smb.conf
> >
> > [global]
> > workgroup = HOME
> > [Lappy]
> > comment = Slackware Laptop
> > path = /home/adam
> > read only = no
> > guest ok = yes
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks allot.
> >
> > --
> > - Adam Raymond -

I have a few ideas of things for you to look at.

I'm not sure what the default value for security is in the [global]
section, but it should be set to:

security = user (as opposed to security = share)

A public share can then be defined like this:

[mp3]
comment = mp3
writable = yes
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
path = /home/mp3
public = yes

Also, if you're just trying to access your home directory, you can have
a service defined like this:

[homes]
writable = yes

(man smb.conf actually has pretty good documentation for this stuff)

Tim