apcusbd - Debian

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 31 17:54:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 09:13:48PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> I installed this package to communicate with my APC U.P.S
>
> Set the config file as suggested in the manual.   Started the daemon.
>
> Checking /var/log/   This message had been logged.
>
> ---
> Fri Jan 28 20:06:29 EST 2005  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in linux-usb.c at line 786
> Cannot find UPS device --
> For a link to detailed USB trouble shooting information,
> please see <http://www.apcupsd.com/support.html>.
> Fri Jan 28 20:06:29 EST 2005  apcupsd error shutdown completed
>
> ----
>

> However this is what dmesg has to say
>
> ----
> hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC Back-UPS ES 500 FW:2.e2.D USB FW:e2] on
> usb-0000:00:10.1-1
> usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
>
> ----
>
> Any body any experience with this and can give a pointer or two.  I didn't
> find USB troubleshooting in the manual.  In the .conf file I had
> DEVICE   the first time and then tried
> DEVICE /dev/usb/hiddev[0-15] which as I read it shouldn't be needed.  However
> the same error message is logged for both.
> I gather the cable etc is ok if the APC unit is found during the boot process.

This config works for me on Debian Sarge with an APC ups sing USB.

UPSCABLE usb
UPSTYPE usb
DEVICE /dev/usb/hiddev0
LOCKFILE /var/lock
ONBATTERYDELAY 6
BATTERYLEVEL 5
MINUTES 2
TIMEOUT 0
ANNOY 300
ANNOYDELAY 60
NOLOGON disable
KILLDELAY 0
NETSERVER on
NISIP 0.0.0.0
NISPORT 3551
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
EVENTSFILEMAX 10
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable
STATTIME 30
STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0
(I left out the comments and default values that were in comments too)

I think that was the only file I changed to get it going.

Lennart Sorensen