Dependancy Hell

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 10 21:18:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:06:59PM -0500, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> dist-upgrade will install new packages, whereas upgrade will not -- so
> any new existing packages whose new versions depend on packages you
> haven't installed, will not be upgraded.
>
> It almost feels like there's something else going on behind the scenes,
> because I've found that while tracking Debian unstable, things get
> wedged less often with dist-upgrade. I suppose it could be related
> incomplete dependency specifications with some packages, which are
> bypassed when *everything* is upgraded all together.

I suspect upgrade is not allowed to remove an installed package to
install a replacement with a new package name, while dist-upgrade is
allowed to do that.  Or something like that.

I have only used dist-upgrade for the last 6 years and it has always
worked great for me, so I never use upgrade.

Lennart Sorensen