Dependancy Hell

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 10 21:06:59 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>I tend to use apt-get -u dist-upgrade instead of upgrade.  Never really
>have figured out what the difference is.

dist-upgrade will install new packages, whereas upgrade will not -- so
any new existing packages whose new versions depend on packages you
haven't installed, will not be upgraded.

It almost feels like there's something else going on behind the scenes,
because I've found that while tracking Debian unstable, things get
wedged less often with dist-upgrade. I suppose it could be related
incomplete dependency specifications with some packages, which are
bypassed when *everything* is upgraded all together.