Linux in Schools Project, a P4, and ATi drivers

Igor Denisov denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 23 03:29:31 UTC 2005

Hello Everyone,

Just an update on that Linux in (Toronto) schools project I posted
about last October,

I 'm trying to keep it alive, but the layers of approval needed are
bearing down.
The scope has been reduced to more of a tech pilot, not to replace the
current systems, but to get the IT to think about GNU/Linux when the
next OS upgrade/change comes around.
I'll still persevere though, maybe it will get going by the summer :-)

Also, I went to SUSE 9.2 (using X.org)  in hope of getting my Radeon
9200 to work properly, and notachance!
I followed the instructions SUSE gives for installing the driver and
the atempts have been rather futile (and duh, I later read the 3D
support is listed as experimental :-).
There appears to be a new driver out:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/X/ATI/suse92/i386/fglrx/8.10.19
Has anyone here tried it yet?
I really don't want to go through another install process to find that
the 3D doesn't work :-)

Finally, a friend of mine is putting his system up for sale,

-P4 @ 1.8 GHz
-768 Mb RAM
-DVD-ROM
-Radeon 9200 SE, too bad about the ATi drivers though :-(
-20 GB HD

He's asking $350 but is willling to bargain.

The email is nimrod245-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org

Igor D.