Redhat 9 and Compaq Proliant 2500R

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 24 17:24:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:47:48PM -0500, James Mendez wrote:
>  I have a Compaq Proliant 2500 Server with 512meg ram
> Tried to install Redhat 9 and it tells me I don't have enough Ram
> Pls assist.

Compaq BIOSes have been defective for decades by now, and have never
reported system memory in a standards compliant way.

A distribution with a newert kernel might know automatically how to work
around that stupidity, otherwise you will have to tell it explicitly.

ie:
RedHat 7.2 (2.4.18 kernel) instructions:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2003-March/msg01403.html

Some gentoo users report this works on 2.6 kernels (for a 256M machine):
memmap=240M at 16M

A google serharch for proliant 2500 linux memory should get you lots of
hints about how to deal with those crap bioses.

Lennart Sorensen