var is mysteriously clogged

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 26 19:34:03 UTC 2005

On 12/26/05, Paul Sutton <zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a cron job or similar that periodically cleans the system, as
> Linux is designed to be on 24/7 then it would perhaps be run at midnight
> when a server in quieter,  so perhaps if you system is not running 24/7
> the computer is turned off, when this would noramally run.

It is a 27/7 setup, and has been used as a server.  I suspect some of
my mad (insane) hackery has screwed stuff up repeatedly.  I poked
around a bit, but it's not something I want to get into right now,
seeing as I don't trust the setup in general.

Logfiles are supposed to rotate automatically, so it's mindboggling
that things are being mishandled.  I'll keep an eye on things, but
it's not something I want to investigate.  I'm tired of Linux's
constant time-wasting pitfalls.

I'm running a beta distro, and I've cuffed it around the head a few
times so I think things are bound to be a bit broken sometimes.  I'll
do the system reinstall sometime soonish, since that's trivial enough
to do (except encfs and vmware will break, but that's another story)